Regardless of whether you drink diet or regular soda, this week I challenge you to cut your soda consumption in half!
But WHY should I quit drinking something I enjoy? It’s not THAT bad is it?
- Although numerous studies have shown some correlation between soda consumption and various health issues, the verdict is out as to whether it is truly a health hazard, but regardless, my health isn’t something I want to mess around with. Not when there are other, better drink choices.
- Regular soda adds unnecessary calories – which of course can contribute to weight gain. Just two sodas a day can add 300+ calories – that’s the amount of a hearty snack or light breakfast!
- The sweeteners in diet soda mimic sugar to your body – it can’t tell the difference, so it will react as if you have HAD sugar. Consuming sugar will cause you to crave more sugar, so there is a very real possibility that you’ll end up consuming more sugary junk foods thanks to those cravings.
- In addition, many people subconsciously think they are being “good” by drinking diet drinks, so they end up eating more than they would because “they deserve it for being so good.”
- Finally, why put chemicals and “fake” food into your body if you don’t have to? Don’t you deserve better than that?
So HOW do I do this?
I’m not going to lie – if you drink a lot of soda, this isn’t going to be easy. I speak from experience here as I used to consume a LOT of diet coke. However, I can tell you that it does get easier – it took me a year to not crave it, and another year to not really like it. Today, I can honestly say I don’t like the taste of diet coke. Once in a while I’ll have a sip of someone else’s and I’ll confirm that it just doesn’t taste good anymore.
The best way to go about it is to just start cutting it out.
- Next time you go to a restaurant, order water instead of a soda (you’ll also meet my challenge of drinking more water this way AND save money!).
- Don’t buy it. It’s a lot harder to consume soda if it’s not in your house!
- Determine your triggers and find a solution- do you want a soda to drink in the car? Bring a bottle of water or travel mug of tea with you. Do you crave an afternoon “pick-me-up”? Start taking a five minute walk and eating a juicy apple every afternoon instead.
- If you are determined enough, just STOP. That’s what I eventually did – it was too easy for me to say “oh, just this one time I’ll have a Diet Coke instead of water.” By just not drinking it (and telling everyone that I was stopping), there was no excuse.
So this week, give it a try – your body and your wallet will thank you!