If you’ve followed me for any length of time (especially on Instagram), it’s pretty apparent that I’m a huge fan of local breweries. What’s funny is that aside from sours, I really don’t like beer …
So what’s up with that?
I’m sharing my top 5 reasons as to why I love local breweries and see if I can’t convince the other non-beer lovers out there to check them out too:
- The food. In general, I’ve found the food at local breweries to be top-notch. Many of them have the same philosophy with food as they do with beer – keep it local when possible and make it tasty. When the brewery doesn’t have a kitchen, they often offer food trucks, and who doesn’t enjoy a good food truck?
- The atmosphere. Comfortable seating, friendly bartenders and servers, plenty of board games to play. A few of my favorites even offer outdoor games like cornhole or comfy sofa areas when you just want to enjoy a drink and relax. If you are lucky, they brew the beer on site and you might get a chance to check out the process or learn a bit about their philosophy.
- The fun. It seems like there is something going on most nights. Trivia, Bingo, Open Mic nights, even craft nights – we’ve enjoyed all of these at several of our local breweries. I’m a fan of not just going out to dinner but doing dinner WITH entertainment. A local brewery will have that covered.
- The drinks. I’ve only been to one local brewery that didn’t offer something for the non-beer drinker. Many times I’ll find a guest cider on tap, local spirits or even a few wine selections. A few we’ve visited even brewed their own root beer. Talk about delicious – a few of those may have come home with us in growlers!
- They are local. It’s fun to support local businesses. You know that when you do, you are helping people that live in the area, the money they make often goes right back into the town and it continues to perpetuate. Local businesses also add character to a town and make it unique.
I hope I’ve convinced you to give your local brewery a try. If you have a favorite, please leave it in the comments – we love to check them out when we travel for all the reasons I’ve listed above.